If you’re renting a dumpster before a big renovation, whole-house decluttering or performing other major tasks, it’s easy to just start throwing anything and everything into the bin. However, when we pick up a dumpster, it’s delivered to a landfill and not everything is accepted because it can be a danger to the environment or public safety. Did you know that putting items in a dumpster that are dangerous can lead to hefty fines?
To help you “know before you throw,” we’re sharing what you can and can’t toss into a dumpster.
What Can I Put In a Dumpster?
If you are using a dumpster rental for residential use, most of what you need to get rid of can go in. This includes:
- Roofing waste like shingles, underlayment, and wood
- Construction debris, including drywall, flooring, tile, old bathroom fixtures, and countertops
- Yard waste, like branches, leaves, and old plants
- Wood or particleboard furniture
- Household junk, like pots and pans, toys, old clothes, broken counter appliances (toasters, microwaves, crockpots)
- Lumber and wood waste
- Empty aerosol cans
Check With Your Local Rental Company
Depending on where you live determines a lot of what can go in the dumpster. Certain items are dependent on local laws – in some places items are fine to go in a dumpster, while in others it’s illegal.
Items That Can’t Go In a Dumpster
When you rent a dumpster, the following items could damage the container and create a safety or environmental hazard.
- Car batteries
- Ink cartridges
- Hot water tanks
- Refrigerators – contact your local sanitation department about bulk debris pickup
- Medical waste
- Contaminated soil from pesticides or other chemicals
- Oil and fuel tanks
- Industrial drums
- Household cleaners (empty containers are fine)
If you’re not certain what the rental company will and will not accept, be sure to ask rather than assume something is fine.
Contact Raven Reclaimed To Rent a Dumpster For Your Next Project
At Raven Reclaimed, we have a wide range of dumpsters available for rent in all sizes. To schedule a rental or learn more, give us a call at (888) 40-RAVEN.